System freezes after installing my ESET security product
If you have installed an ESET security product on a computer which already has a non-ESET antivirus product installed, you may experience degraded system performance. Please uninstall both products and reinstall your ESET software using the information contained in this article.
You should never have two different antivirus programs or firewalls installed at the same time.
If your computer is freezing and will not allow operation in normal mode, you will need to restart the computer in Safe Mode and disable the ESET service. Please follow the steps below, 'Starting Your Computer In Safe Mode'.
Starting Your Computer in Safe Mode
- Restart your computer. During startup, continually press the F8 key until the Windows Advanced Options Menu is displayed. Select Safe Mode and press ENTER.
NOTE: On some keyboards, you may have to press the "F-LOCK" key before this will work.
If you fail to get the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" to display, restart the computer, and try again.
- Once you are in Safe Mode, Click Start - Run. The Run window will be displayed. Type services.msc and click OK (Windows Vista users, just click Start, type services.msc and press ENTER).
- The Services window will appear. Locate the Eset Service on the list.
- Right-click the service and select Properties. Set the Startup type: to Disabled and click OK.
- Close all windows and restart the computer. The computer should now start normally without freezing or hanging. Proceed with 'Uninstalling All Antivirus Products', below.
Uninstalling All Antivirus Products
- Click Start - All Programs - ESET - ESET NOD32 Antivirus / Smart Security - Uninstall.
- Restart the computer (IMPORTANT!). Once the computer has restarted, delete the following folders:
- Uninstall your previous antivirus software. You should never have two different antivirus programs or firewalls installed at the same time.
- Download the latest version of your ESET security product onto your desktop, and start the installation.
NOTE: It is STRONGLY recommended that you re-download the installer from our website, to make sure you have the latest version