Why is my program not connecting to the Internet
Both ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus scan for viruses by analyzing network traffic.
By default, your ESET security product automatically detects programs that are used as web browsers and email clients, and adds them to the list of programs to scan. This can cause loss of internet connectivity or other undesired results with applications that use network features but are not web browsers/email clients.
This can be fixed by adjusting the settings, to ensure that it is only being used for web browser and email applications:
- Open the main program window by clicking the ESET icon next to the system clock or by clicking Start - All Programs - ESET - ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
- Press the F5 key to display the Advanced Setup window.
- From the Advanced Setup tree, click Personal firewall - Protocol filtering (for ESET Smart Security) or Antivirus and antispyware - Protocol filtering (for ESET NOD32 Antivirus).
- Select the Applications marked as Internet browsers and email clients option.
- From the Advanced Setup tree, click Antivirus and antispyware - Web access protection - HTTP - Web browsers and make sure that only the applications you want scanned are selected. Typically only web browsers (iexplorer.exe, firefox.exe, etc.) need to be selected.
- From the Advanced Setup tree, click Antivirus and antispyware - Email protection - POP3 - Email clients and make sure that only the applications you want scanned are selected. Typically only email clients (outlook.exe, thunderbird.exe, etc.) need to be selected.
- Click OK to save your changes.